Resources: Investing in Organizational Strengthening
History & Background on Capacity Building
examples of Landscape assessments
- Our study for Paso Del Norte Health Foundation (doc)
- Our study of the landscape for capacity building of Agricultural Cooperatives in Haiti (doc)
- Civil Society Landscape Analysis of Ethiopia (doc)
- Point the Way – Landscape Analysis of the Chicago Region (doc)
- This report helped to inform the Community Memorial Foundation Capacity Building program (website)
- Tower Foundation Capacity Building Landscape Scan (doc)
- Hewlett Foundation Landscape Analysis of Youth Serving Funding and Nonprofit Communities in the Bay Area (doc)
- Greater New Orleans Foundation - Needs Assessment (doc)
- This scan led to this Organizational Effectiveness program at the Greater New Orleans Foundation (website)
Organizational assessment tools
A Place to Start – is a collection of links to helpful articles and resources for people wanting to deepen their understanding of race equity.
Andrus Foundation blog post on SOAR (blog post)
D5 Resources - Advancing Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in Philanthropy (website)
Equity Field Scan – is Putnam Consulting’s 2016 field scan of Foundations embracing race equity work and what was required to change the culture at those foundations.
Race Equity Recommended Podcasts, Documentaries, Books and Blogs – another collection of other media to deepen understanding of race equity.
Race Equity Terms – this document includes working definitions of commonly used terms when talking about race, equity, diversity and inclusion.
REI Toolkit – includes two tools for talking about systems and race.
Equality vs. Equity Graphic – this is a commonly used graphic that aptly presents the difference between equality and equity.
Reducing Barriers to Participation in Organizational Strengthening Programs
Listening, Adapting & Learning
- Resources and templates for creating and operationalizing Learning Agendas
- Relationships Matter: Program Officers, Grantees and the Keys to Success (doc)
- Discussion Guide for Strengthening Nonprofit Capacity (doc)
- Collaborating, Learning and Adapting Resources (website)
- Learning Together – Actionable Approaches for Grantmakers (website)
- Emergent Learning – A Framework for Whole Systems Strategy, Learning and Adaptation (website)
- What's the Value Proposition of Emergence? (website)
- Emergent Learning - Taking Learning From Experience to a New Level (Website)
- Emergent Learning in Action: The After Action Review (website)
- Evaluation of Capacity Building Programs: A Learning Organization Approach (website)
- Other great learning resources from 4th Quadrant Partners (website)
Who is Doing What in Grantmaking & Organizational Strengthening
Special Topics in Organizational Strengthening
- Strengthening Nonprofit Capacity for Evaluation (GEO) (website)
- Strengthening Leaders (GEO) (website)
- Working Through Intermediaries for Capacity Building – Oak Foundation Report (doc)
- Hewlett Foundation Organizational Effectiveness Knowledgebase (website)
- Capacity Building 3.0 - TCC Group (doc)
- The Overhead Myth - article and toolkit